This project came to being due to Covid-19 🦠
Since everyone is isolating, a few friends have been hosting trivia nights by live streaming over Facebook or wherever, I thought it might be useful if everyone could see the current question instead of shouting over each other asking for it to be repeated etc. You know what it's like trying to have an online meeting with too many people...
The idea was to make it as simple as possible, so I've used Google sheets as the data store. There is no sign up required, just use you're own Google account.
The host can change the title and has a couple of large buttons to move back and forward through the questions. The players will see the questions update in realtime thanks to Firestore.
If you'd like to create your own game:
- Create a new Google Sheet.
- Columns are as follows:
- A: Category
- B: Category Question Number
- C: Question
- D: Image (Must be a URL direct to the image)
- Set the sharing options to "Anyone with the link can view".
- Copy the sheet ID from the URL, it will look something like this:
- Go to billsearle.me/trivia/YOUR-SHEET-ID?host=1 to host the game.
- Share billsearle.me/trivia/YOUR-SHEET-ID with friends to follow along.